The Public Service Staff Development Centre (PSSDC) was established by the Lagos State Government in 1994. The establishment of the Centre arose from the need to effectively coordinate capacity building, learning and development activities but more importantly, with a view to promoting excellence in Public Service delivery. Since establishment over 20 years ago, PSSDC has provided niche and cutting-edge learning and development programmes in the Public Service of Lagos State with tremendous observable impact.
In line with the desire of its stakeholders to make Lagos become Africa’s model mega city that works for all and with a view to enhancing her ability to play in the dynamic world of human resource management and capacity building, PSSDC received tremendous support from the Lagos State Government. This support heralded the commencement of an ambitious transformation programme that has since changed its perception by critical stakeholders in the Public Service capacity building industry in Nigeria and beyond.
Under dynamic and focused management, PSSDC successfully designed and implemented a change programme that has revitalised its outlook, its processes and capacity, its learning and development delivery and has validated its claim to be a Public Service organisation with a Private Sector orientation.
With a vision of becoming the leading Public Service capacity building institution in Africa but with a world-class reputation, PSSDC has re-directed for relevance, recognition and has developed a set of strategic institutional objectives to underpin this vision. The SIOs include:
- To proactively partner with all relevant arms of government in the design and implementation of value-adding training and development initiatives in a structured, systematic way consistent with the emerging new Lagos State Public Service
- To provide consulting in Organisational Effectiveness and Service Delivery, Visioning and Living the Vision, Implementation of Strategy Documents, e.g. LASEEDS, Industrial Relations for good governance
- To conduct value assurance of learning and development consultancy providers to ensure content and curriculum depth, relevance and applicability to the vision of the state
- To develop PSSDC into a business-minded, self-sustaining and commercially viable institution
- To create and sustain a stimulating environment for staff to unleash their potential and deliver surpassing productivity
- To be a veritable resource and research centre showcasing the achievements of Lagos State to Africa and to the World
To date PSSDC has achieved the following among others:
Developed an Institutional Transformation Plan (ITP) and implemented an Organisational Change process which has resulted in a more focused and professional attitude to service delivery
- Modernised learning and development in curriculum design and delivery thus becoming a reference point for professionalized learning and development;
- Conceptualised and developed game-changing programmes to address competency gaps in transitional managerial levels in the Public Service in Lagos State;
- Developed a new model of experiential learning on all learning and development programmes,
- Reorganised and refocused functional departments into strategic business units.
- Strengthened its Consultancy capacity to compete and has successfully responded to Expressions of Interest (EoI) and executed consultancy jobs within Lagos state, in other states of the Federation and to a number of Federal Government agencies.
- Provided enhanced physical environment and a conducive physical ambience, a model of functionality in the Public Service
- Created an environment for the re-awakening and unleashing of the potential of staff through the institution of human resource policies
- Projected a consistent brand and revamped its goodwill and credibility
- Successfully re-engineered its financial position and introduced cost effective measures that has enhanced revenue.
- Recognised within Nigeria and internationally as a partner in providing human capacity solutions;
- Collaborated with frontline professional national and international bodies and institutions relevant to human resource management and capacity building particularly the Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered), the Nigerian Institute for Training and Development (NITAD), the Galilee International Management Institute (GIMI) Israel and the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (CIPMN).
A learning organisation that recognises the imperative of change and sustainable excellence in service delivery, PSSDC is an active member of numerous national and international capacity building organizations including the International Federation of Training and Development Organisations (IFTDO) and the West African Management Development Institutes Network (WAMDEVIN).
Vision and Mission
To be the leading Public Service capacity building institution in Africa with a world-class reputation.
Mission: To provide human capacity solutions through learning and development initiatives
to public service stakeholders using technology-driven resources.
Core Values: Integrity, Quality focus, Diligence, Team Spirit, Effective Communication,
- Office of the Director-General
- Public Affairs Unit
- Internal Control Unit
- Business Support Unit
- Corporate Services (Administrative & Human Resources)Directorate
- Programmes Directorate
- Technical Services Directorate
- Planning & Research Directorate
- Finance & Accounts Directorate
- Management Consultancy Services Directorate
5-39, PSSDC Road, Magodo GRA, Phase II, Phone Number-07046037013 – 14